Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tour de Ouest Varois - Best day ever!!!

Well almost. Apart from the wedding day and the birth of Elula and passing my driving test I think Saturday the 8th March was the best day of my life!

I raced down in Aix en Provence. A bigger event than usual, the Tour de Ouest Varois. Only 80km, undulating but not very hilly, but with 75 starters I knew that it would be fast.

I came 3rd last week in Cavaillon and I was in a break for over 30km with a chap from Arles called Bruno. Yesterday Bruno attacked after just 2.5km and I knew how strong he was so I thought what the hell and jumped on his wheel!
4 of us managed to create a small gap then the terrain changed to suit a good break building move. We soon got the bunch out of sight. After 40km there was a climb of 3km at a 5% gradient. I led our bunch over the top, feeling strong, and we went like the clappers for the next 20km. The last 10km was a false flat up-hill to the finish. We were still working well and the others still looked strong. I didn't fancy a sprint.
At about 5km to go I came from the back of the bunch as hard as I could and didn't look back for a few minutes. I had about 300m on them when I did look back. When I saw the 1km flag I knew I had it as I was about 400m in front. I had time to zip up and throw my arms in the air - absolutely delighted!!

1 comment:

Tech said...

Hi Vicky & Craig I came across your Webby by hazard......I've gotta to say its really truly beautiful. God knows how you find the motivation to get the whole thing up and running or perhaps its the magic powers the Ventoux has on us all......once you've set foot on the Ventoux you can't resist going back. Think its been 3 times I've had the prividge of climbing up there where eagles fly, there where one feels so small so humble. Its me and the mountain. Like you I live for the love of the velo and have the privilege of living in probably the most beautiful place on Earth. From where I live I can see the Ventoux and the Signal de Lurs. During the winter months I climb the Montfuron to keep fit and have taken part in numerous TT in the area. At present I'm waiting for a moment when time and work permits to climb once again the Ventoux but this time in the spring. The first ascent from Sault I managed in 1h38 with virtually no preparation subsequent ascensions with training were worse.....thats life. I can't explain the satisfaction I get climbing the Ventoux and few non cyclists understand but I can see in your words that you are under its spell.

I'm not far from you I live near Manosque in a Village called Pierrevert since 1976 and run an Electronics business in Manosque, Here's My webby:

http://www.tselectronics.com
email chris@tselectronics.com

I'd be pleased to hear from you when time permits and if its OK put a link to your Webby.

Oh by the way you seem to be more than a match for French when it comes to winning races although I have on a couple of occasions dropped the big Sunday racing club groups going up the Montfuron all down to good old British stubborness and wily tactics plus legs like a wrestler, lungs like a whale and a 52x20 while the others were on the 42 inner ring.

Once again nice to have found your website

Chris